Debit Card FAQs
What is a Visa® Debit card?
A Visa® Debit card works like a check, only better. When you make purchases, the amount is deducted directly from your checking account. But you also enjoy added convenience and security protections.
How does the Visa® Debit card work?
It works just like a regular Automated Teller Machine (ATM) card at ATMs:
- You use it with your Personal Identification Number (PIN) to get cash.
At stores, restaurants, and other merchants, it works just like a check:
- You present the card to the cashier, sign the receipt, and your purchase will be deducted right from your checking account.
Are there benefits to signing for my Visa® Debit card transactions?
When you press CREDIT and sign for a purchases, your transaction is routed through the Visa network. You get security protections that help prevent, detect and resolve fraud.
How can I sign for my Visa® Debit card when there is a PIN pad or terminal?
On many terminals, pressing CREDIT allows you to sign for your transaction. However, other terminals require you to swipe your card without being able to select CREDIT/DEBIT, then prompt you for your PIN. In such cases, either press CANCEL to be able to sign or tell the cashier you want to sign for your transaction.
Why do some merchants not require a signature or PIN for my Visa® Debit card transactions?
Many merchants do not require a PIN or signature for Visa® Debit card transactions under $25. This helps speed up checkout. Similarly when you shop online or by phone and can’t sign for your purchase, you still receive all the benefits your Visa® Debit card provides when you select Visa as your payment option.
How is a Visa® Debit card better than cash or checks?
- More convenient — Using your Visa® Debit card is fast and easy. Access your funds 24/7 and make purchases at millions of locations worldwide that accept Visa® Debit cards. You don’t need to keep cash on hand — so you make fewer trips to the ATM and don’t need to fumble for change.
- More secure — Visa monitors your account 24 hours a day to help prevent, detect and resolve fraud on your Visa® Debit card.
- Better record keeping — Your Visa® Debit card transactions are automatically deducted from your checking account, so you can access your up-to-date balance through West Milton State Bank’s Online or Telephone Banking. Your monthly checking account statement provides full details of your purchases, including merchant name, location, date and amount. You’ll enjoy money management you don’t get using cash or checks.
Where can I use a Visa® Debit card?
You can use your Visa® Debit card at millions of places worldwide that accept Visa® Debit cards. They include restaurants (including fast-food and quick-service restaurants), retail stores, grocery stores, dry cleaners, movie theaters, drug stores/pharmacies, gas/service stations and doctors’ offices. You can also make purchases online, by mail or over the phone. And you can even pay your bills with your Visa® Debit card. When you’re traveling, use your Visa® Debit card to make purchases — even larger ones, like airline tickets.
Can I get cash back when I use my Visa® Debit card?
You can get cash back when you use your Visa® Debit card at ATMs and many merchant locations. To get cash back, press DEBIT instead of CREDIT. You will be prompted to enter your PIN and select the amount of cash that you want to complete the transaction.
Can I pay bills with my Visa® Debit card?
Yes, using your Visa® Debit card is a fast and easy way to pay your bills. You save time and avoid the hassle of writing checks and paying late fees or missing payments. You can pay for wireless phone service, cable/satellite TV and insurance, and even set up recurring payments. Plus you get all the benefits Visa® Debit card provides, including greater convenience, enhanced security and easier record keeping.